Getting Divorced In Montana
Montana has a “no-fault” divorce law, meaning neither spouse has to provide the reason for or prove why the marriage broke down, nor can he or she be obliged to pay damages for that breakdown.
Guiding You Through Divorce, One Step At A Time
At Terrazas Henkel, P.C., we advocate for clients across western Montana. We will help you resolve all of your matters related to divorce, including:
- Uncontested divorce. These are usually simple divorces involving uncomplicated assets and few or no children. Spouses are capable of resolving differences amicably and can reach a settlement of basic financial, property, and child-related issues without the need for court intervention.
- Contested divorce. When divorcing spouses cannot agree on fundamental issues such as child custody, child support, division of marital assets or spousal maintenance (alimony), they may wish to have their matters contested resolved by a judge.
- Mediated divorce. An impartial mediator may be able to help divorcing spouses resolve contested issues and reach a settlement without trial. Mediation is required in some counties before trial and in all appeals.
- Complex/high-asset divorce. Some marriages involve a complex web of investments, retirement funds, business interests, real estate, and children that may be too difficult to resolve without the help of an experienced law firm. Our lawyers are skilled at unweaving the web of assets and liabilities and negotiating a resolution or presenting our client’s position at trial.
- Legal separation. Separation is different from the dissolution of marriage (divorce) in that spouses live apart but remain legally married under the terms of a separation agreement. This agreement is functionally similar to a divorce decree. After six months, either spouse may petition the court to convert the separation into dissolution.
- Divorce planning. Divorce brings with it financial uncertainty and often requires spouses to re-evaluate long-held financial expectations. Our attorneys assist clients with estate planning and other financial matters related to divorce.
- Modifications/enforcement. We help clients secure post-divorce modifications of their orders for child custody (parenting time), visitation (parental contact), child support, and spousal maintenance when their personal or financial circumstances change significantly. We also help clients enforce compliance with existing orders.
Get Experienced Montana Divorce Guidance
We know that each client and case is unique and shouldn’t be treated with a blanket approach. Contact Terrazas Henkel, P.C., in Missoula, Montana, to discuss your options in a confidential consultation with an understanding and experienced divorce lawyer. Call us at 406-541-2550.